The team here at Virginia Beach Law Group is thrilled to welcome Kara Ransom as our newest extern.
We had a Q&A with Kara. Read on to learn more about this exceptional future lawyer.
What is your position and what do you do at Virginia Beach Law Group?
- I am an extern, which means that while working as an intern in the office, I am earning course credit toward my degree program. Working at Virginia Beach Law Group is an amazing opportunity for me to gain practical experience in several areas of law including estate planning, real estate, DUI defense, and civil litigation. I work directly with Dave C. Johnson, assisting with research and attending client consultations, hearings, and other meetings related to law practice. This experience is invaluable, and I greatly appreciate the wonderful work atmosphere.
Where are you from?
- I am from Steelville, Missouri, a very small town southwest of St. Louis.
What was your undergraduate major?
- I graduated from Evangel University in Springfield, Missouri, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology.
Tell us about your family.
- My husband and I met in high school, married in college, and we just celebrated our son’s first birthday at the end of July.
Have you always dreamed of becoming a lawyer?
- Actually, I had never even considered going to law school before my junior year of college. I originally planned to pursue a career in counseling, but after my first semester in a master’s level counseling program, I realized that I still had not found my niche in the helping professions and decided that law would be a better fit for me.
Why did you choose the field of law?
- I have a strong desire to make a difference in the world, and I believe that as an attorney I will be able to do that one client at a time. Most of the time, people need legal help because they are facing life problems that are unjust, financially crippling, or emotionally sensitive. No matter the situation, I want to use my expertise when I become an attorney to bring hope to people and their families. While a favorable outcome is not always possible, I want to be there to support and advocate for my clients throughout their legal matters.
Where do you attend law school?
- I am a 3L (3rd year student) at Regent University School of Law in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
What are your legal areas of interest?
- As a 3L, I am still solidifying the area of law on which I prefer to focus. While I am particularly interested in Estate Planning and Real Estate law, I am also quite interested in constitutional law, specifically First Amendment Rights of Free Speech and Free Exercise of Religion.
What are your personal interests/hobbies?
- I love music, particularly singing and playing the piano. As a creative outlet in the midst of law school, I enjoy filling in on the piano or the bass guitar at church when needed. Additionally, I love spending time with my family and our two dogs at the beach. The “foreverness” of the horizon helps me keep life in perspective. And I suppose I cannot leave out that I absolutely love to shop!